Illustration

A few of my literature-inspired drawings

The Odyssey, Homer

The Threshold

“Odysseus approached and stepped inside… [he] slumped himself
down on the ash-wood threshold, leaning back against the cypress doorpost, which a workman had smoothed and straightened long ago.”

The Odyssey, Homer
Translated by Emily Wilson

A doorway is our only access to the world, but it is also our shelter from it; it is where our journeys begin, but it is also where they end. I think there is beauty and mystery in what can come in and out of a door; there is magic in the fact that every time we enter or leave, new opportunities arise and new experiences are lived. In this drawing, I wanted to capture the subtle yet mighty meaning of a threshold; the doorway I drew here symbolises every feat Odysseus conquered, every defeat he suffered — each one a step in his quest towards home.

Don Quijote, Miguel de Cervantes

Hidden Poetry

Beowulf

The Dragon

Beowulf

The Dagger

The words on the dagger’s blade are Old English runes for A Lasting Legacy. I believe these words would be perfectly inscribed in Beowulf’s weapons, as for the hero your name — the honorable legacy you leave behind — is the most important value.

Kreutzer Sonata, Leo Tolstoy

Music’s Power

The Red Badge of Courage, Stephen Crane

Nature’s Persistence

The metamorphosis, Franz Kafka

Music’s Nourishment

In this drawing, I wanted to portray the most impressive part of ​The Kreutzer Sonata for me, which is the description of the power music has on our protagonist, Pózdnyshev —the confusion of his own feelings, the difficulty he experiences in trying to reject them, and the suffering they cause him. I especially wanted to convey how the music, this sonata in particular, weighs tremendously on him.

The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway

Man’s Resilience

Hidden Poetry

Middlemarch, George Eliot

Dorothea & Will

Posted

in

by

Tags: